Policy and Program Evaluation
December 28 — January 22, 2021
Enrollment Deadline: Dec. 14, 2020
This graduate-level, 3-credit online course will teach students how to strategically evaluate public and nonprofit programs and policies. Topics covered include evaluation planning, program theory, research methods, data analysis, and the presentation of findings. Students will explore the art of conducting a rigorous evaluation through readings, recorded lectures, online discussion, case study assignments, and hands-on exercises.
To register for Continuing Education classes, call (603-862-1500) or email (email@example.com) the UNH Registrar's Office. They will assist you with registering for the course. See more registration directions below.
Course: Policy and Program Evaluation, PA 804 (earn 3 graduate-level course credits which can be applied to any Carsey graduate degree program)
Dates: December 28, 2020 – January 22, 2021 (3 weeks)
Delivery: This course is offered as an online, self-paced asynchronous program over the course’s three-week period.
Syllabus: Policy and Program Evaluation Syllabus
Textbooks: These books are available in the UNH online bookstore and through other online retailers. Other assigned readings will be posted to Canvas (also known as myCourses).
- Alkin, M. (2011). Evaluation essentials from A to Z. First edition. New York, NY: Guilford Press. Note that even though there is a newer version available we will be using the first edition of the Alkin book.
- Emison, G. (2007). Getting from ideas to outcomes. Practical program evaluations. Washington, DC: CQ Press.
Pre-Requisites: Bachelor's Degree – Note: while a transcript submission is not required, you will need to have earned a bachelor’s degree to enroll in graduate level course to earn academic credit. If you do not have a bachelor’s degree, contact Sanjeev.Sharma@unh.edu and attach your resume. People working in the field can request a waiver of the bachelor’s degree requirement.
Registration: To register, call (603-862-1500) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the UNH Registrar's Office. They will assist you with registering for the course (note that you will need to provide your undergraduate transcripts). For details about registering as a Continuing Education student, please visit the Continuing Education webpage.
The registration deadline is December 14, 2020.
Carolyn Arcand serves as a staff lecturer with the Carsey School of Public Policy
- Ph.D., Public Policy, University of Massachusetts - Boston
- M.P.A., Public Policy & Management, University of Southern Maine
- M.S., Public Policy, University of Massachusetts - Boston
- B.S., Accounting and Entrepreneurship & Emerging Enterprises, Syracuse University
- PA 802: Grant-writing
- PA 804: Policy and Program Evaluation
- PA 805: Intro to Statistical Analysis
- PA 816: Public Management Techniques
- PA 905: Intro to Statistical Analysis
- PA 914: Financial Management
- POLT 798F/898F: Sem/Political Economy of Care
- POLT 802: Grant-writing
- POLT 804: Policy & Program Evaluation
- POLT 905: Intro to Statistical Analysis
- POLT 908A: Capstone in Public Admin
- POLT 908B: Capstone in Public Admin
- POLT 911: Public Management Techniques
- POLT 914: Financial Management & Budget
- PPOL 706/806: Fundamentals Policy Analysis
- PPOL 906: Fundamentals Policy Analysis
- PPOL 998A: Policy Internship
- WS 505: Survey/The Care Economy
Registration Deadline: December 14, 2020
Space for this course is limited and enrollments will be accepted until the course fills.