March 25 to April 5 , 2019
The Sustainable Microfinance and Development Programme comes to Rwanda in April 2019, in two one-week workshops entirely devoted to Savings Groups. The SMDP Rwanda will take place in Kigali and is offered by the University of New Hampshire, Carsey School of Public Policy and delivered by VSL Associates.
The SMDP Savings Group (SG) courses are designed for institutions and individuals who are committed to experimenting with the methodology but with the intention to create efficient and effective SG programmes, operating at low-cost and significant scale, leading to a long-term output in which groups spontaneously replicate at high quality and can do so in both Islamic and non-Islamic contexts.
MASTERCARD FOUNDATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 22, 2019
REGULAR REGISTRATION DEADLINE: MARCH 15, 2019
The courses will provide participants with:
- the latest VSLA tools necessary to design, implement and manage a successful SG programme, using the VSL methodology. Up to 20 participants may be accepted on to this course
- and in-depth introduction to the new release of the SAVIX MIS. This will be suitable for existing users of the MIS who want to understand the improved tools that are incorporated into the new release (live on 1st April 2018). It will also be an essential introduction to new users of the SAVIX MIS. Up to 20 participants may also be accepted on to this course
In addition to standard tools, the SG Programme Design and Implementation management course will offer
- a simplified version the standard VSL methodology, suitable for groups that want to keep things as straightforward as possible. This methodology is Sharia compliant
- set of tools that can be used in the Selection, Planning and Management of Income Generating Activities as a supplement to the basic VSL methodology
- a new release that allows for the creation of apex institutions, comprised of up to 10 SGs, as an alternative to linkage to formal financial institutions, for the purpose of intermediating group capital and offering supplementary savings and investment opportunities
For this reason, it is very much hands-on and involves a mixture of classroom lectures, simulations and field visits to successful savings groups created by CARE that have been running profitably and independently for several years.
- Plenary sessions on the latest Savings Groups learning and innovation
- Structured field visit for week 1 participants
- Step-by-step guidance on field operations, focusing on group governance, products, and procedures
- Introduction to a simplified, Sharia compliant version of the VSL methodology
- Introduction to a new VSL Associates Selection Planning and Management of Income-Generating Activities (SPM) tool
- Project design using the most recent project design template for SG programmes, developed in conjunction with Chuck Waterfield
- Introduction to a new VSL Associates tool for apexing up to 10 SGs, for the purpose of intermediating capital between SGs and securing excess liquidity.
- Introduction to the SAVIX website and the SAVIX MIS. Hugh Allen of VSL Associates was the creator of SAVIX MIS and is teaching this course.
- Click on this link for more Course Information [link to Course description page]