The Solar Lending Professional Training - Virtual Series is designed for individuals with more than one year of lending experience who work at community-based lending institutions (credit unions, CDFIs, and community banks), and are interested in increasing their organizations' activity in individual consumer and/or community commercial-level solar financing. These trainings will cover the knowledge, skills and practices you need to engage in solar lending, including market assessment, product development, working with solar installers and developers, underwriting and deal structuring, and program and asset management. We will include additional content on providing solar finance to underserved borrowers to lend deeper into your community.
Beginning in early 2021, the online training will be offered to small cohorts of community-based lenders with high potential to develop new solar lending products, collaborate with partners to provide solar financing, and/or deploy new loans or investments. The course features:
- Two tracks: Consumer Solar Lending and Commercial Solar Lending.
- Engaging videos, reference materials, facilitated online discussion, and expert webinars focused on practitioner needs.
- Technical assistance that continues after course completion in the form of follow-on peer workshops and coaching to move your ideas to action.
- A Solar Lending Professional Certificate issued through Inclusiv upon successful course completion.
The Solar Lending Professional Training - Virtual Series is jointly offered by the Center for Impact Finance at the University of New Hampshire's Carsey School of Public Policy and the Inclusiv Center for Resiliency and Clean Energy, with support from the U.S. Department of Energy and the William & Flora Hewlett Foundation.
Live online sessions held
Wednesdays from 4–5:30 pm ET:
- Cohort 2: May 5 – June 23 (closed)
- Cohort 3: Sept 8 – Dec 8 (dates may change)
7 sessions, meets every other week, no class Dec. 1, last class Dec. 8
- Cohort 4: Early 2022 (dates to be determined)
Live online sessions held
Thursdays from 4–5:30 pm ET:
- Cohort 2: Sept 16 – Nov 4 (dates may change)
8 sessions, meets weekly
- Cohort 3: Early 2022 (dates to be determined)
The training is offered free of charge, but participants are expected to complete all training sections and participate fully in online discussions, as well as report back to us about outcomes at their organization that stem from the training (such as making new solar loans). Community-based lenders are encouraged to enroll multiple staff to participate, in order to build organizational capacity for increasing solar lending activity within their institutions.